Part-Time Enrollment and Individual AP® Courses
Part-Time Enrollment and Individual AP® Courses
Qualified students not in The George Washington University Online High School (GWUOHS) full-time program may apply for our part-time options. We understand that each student's educational journey is unique, and that's why we offer a flexible and accessible program designed to meet the needs of students seeking a part-time online private school experience.
Whether your teen is looking to pursue a passion, master a new subject, or complement their current schooling, our part-time program provides a wide range of benefits. With our rigorous curriculum, robust clubs and extracurriculars, supportive teachers, experienced advisors, and a focus on fostering critical thinking and social-emotional wellness, your teen can embark on a personalized learning path while maintaining the flexibility to accommodate your busy schedule.
Students in our part-time program benefit from:
- Rigorous College Preparatory Courses: GWUOHS's part-time offerings provide teens with access to rigorous and research-based courses that help prepare them academically for the challenges of college. With a focus on critical and creative thinking, oral and written communications, and quantitative operations, students develop the essential skills and competencies needed for higher education.
- Flexibility to Pursue College Readiness: The part-time enrollment option allows teens to balance their academic pursuits with other commitments, such as extracurricular activities or community involvement. Students can choose from a variety of courses, including AP® courses, honors and comprehensive courses, and electives, enabling them to tailor their education to their college goals and interests.
- Supportive and Accessible Teachers: GWUOHS ensures that students have access to their teachers through multiple channels, including instant messaging, help desk sessions, and email. This accessibility facilitates academic support and guidance, ensuring students receive personalized attention and assistance when needed. Teachers are dedicated to their students' successes and are committed to helping them navigate their paths.
- Individualized Academic Planning and Advising: students benefit from regular one-to-one meetings with academic advisors as part of the part-time enrollment option. These meetings cover various aspects of academic performance, time management, study skills, and wellness. Advisors work closely with students to develop personalized academic plans that align with their college aspirations, ensuring that they stay on track and maximize their high school experience.
- Networking Opportunities and College Preparation Events: GWUOHS offers networking opportunities for part-time students to connect with like-minded peers during live class sessions, clubs, assemblies, and virtual events. Additionally, the school organizes virtual college visits and mental health assemblies, providing valuable exposure to the college application process and supporting students' overall well-being. By participating in these events, teens can gain insights into college life and build important connections for their future endeavors.
GWUOHS part-time enrollment follows the traditional school year. Part-time students can enroll in a maximum of three courses per semester. Students receive a transcript at the conclusion of their school term at GWUOHS, signed and stamped by the school registrar, with the option of sending these transcripts to colleges and universities. If a student wishes to substitute GWUOHS course credit for high school graduation requirements, they must seek approval from their current school district prior to enrollment. Part-time students are not eligible for a GWUOHS diploma.
Students can choose from a wide variety of courses, including the AP® options shown below. View the full list of available part-time courses.
AP® Excellence Program
GWUOHS proudly offers the AP® Excellence Program for 9th–12th grade students looking to supplement their current education, gain valuable college credits, and challenge themselves intellectually. GWUOHS offers 16 AP® classes in English, history, math, science, and world languages.
The AP® Excellence Program includes support and training on online education. AP® Excellence students receive a comprehensive program overview in a live session directed by their AP® teachers, their Advisor, and the AP® Coordinator.
- Communication and Guidance: Students are each provided an advisor who will supplement the AP® teacher's work. Advisors communicate consistently with students to promote knowledge and skill sets essential for AP® success. Every AP® student and parent/learning coach is in contact with the AP® coordinator to ensure registration deadlines and documentation for AP® exams are met.
- Credit: Students receive course credit for their work. GWUOHS is accredited by Middle States Association, and our strong accreditation means credits will transfer to applicable colleges and universities. AP® Excellence students are not eligible for a GWUOHS diploma.
AP® Courses Offered*
- AP® English Language and Composition
- AP® English Literature and Composition
- AP® U.S. History
- AP® U.S. Government and Politics
- AP® Macroeconomics
- AP® Microeconomics
- AP® Psychology
- AP® World History
- AP® Calculus AB
- AP® Statistics
- AP® Biology
- AP® Chemistry
- AP® Environmental Science
- AP® Spanish Language and Culture
- AP® French Language and Culture
*Course offerings may change.
For more information and to apply, contact our enrollment consultants at 877.382.2015.