The GWUOHS Partnership
Learn more about the partnership that created GWUOHS.
The vision of GWUOHS was to create a premier online middle and high school, designed to provide a personalized educational experience that prepares students for success in high school, college, and life.
The partnership between the George Washington University and K12 is a unique collaboration. Students benefit from two organizations that are leaders in providing outstanding academic experiences.
The outcome is a college preparatory independent online high school that delivers a rigorous, engaging education with an emphasis on theory and practice, along with integrity.
GWUOHS uses curriculum developed over the past ten years by K12, the world leader in K–12 online education. All of the courses meet or exceed national and state standards that align with broadly accepted curricular best practice. K12 has curriculum experts who continually review and improve course content as standards change and evolve. Adaptability is a distinct advantage: our curriculum is so flexible, we can update it quickly, unlike traditional brick-and-mortar schools that rely on textbooks. As a result, GWUOHS is ahead of the curve in curriculum development.
In addition to the ability to create and maintain superior content quality, the K12 curriculum uses technology for an engaging, interactive experience. The courses are composed of carefully sequenced lessons that assure student mastery as they make their way through each course. The educational environment has students engaged in a mix of teacher-led (synchronous) and online lessons (nonsynchronous).
GWUOHS students are given the opportunity to work toward mastery levels of learning to suit their educational interests. For example, we offer AP® courses that are College Board approved.
We know our students well. We use this knowledge to mentor, encourage, and champion their intellectual and social development. The result is thoughtful, critical, and reflective students.
Our students and families also benefit from our university partnership in the following ways:
- GWUOHS Meet and Greet is held each fall on the GWU Foggy Bottom Campus. Students and families have the opportunity to tour the GWU campus, meet with our GWUOHS assigned admissions adviser, meet with other GWUOHS students and faculty and enjoy lunch together.
- GWUOHS' assigned GWU admissions adviser offers an online presentation for all GWUOHS students, annually, each fall.
- GWUOHS students have the opportunity to dual enroll in courses at GWU.
- GWUOHS students may apply for summer programs at GWU with the application fee waived and at a discounted rate.
- Each year GWUOHS' graduation weekend is held in-person on GWU's Foggy Bottom Campus.
Read more about GWUOHS at GWToday, the George Washington University official online news source: